Thursday, September 18, 2014

My Work


At first glance, this painting may seem pretty typical. You've got your flowers, you've got your skyline, your random inanimate object. All of this is true. But what makes this painting one of my favorites was the way I completed it. It's called night painting, and I bet you can guess how you do it. I sat on my porch and painted this in the dark, with only the distant lamplight to help me see. This forces the artist to create shades and colors based on exactly how they see what's in front of them, instead of using ideas of what colors different objects should be. I completed it in the dark, so I couldn't really see the actual colors I was using, but it came out resembling the glowing, weak light that nighttime creates. This type of painting gets the artist in the field and forces him or her to work by the image in reality rather than going by an image in his or her head. It's exciting to experiment with different times of day or atmospheres and see how they affect the outcome of a piece. 

No comments:

Post a Comment